While wine tasting in Temecula might not have the same cadence that comes with the Napa and Sonoma Valleys, this Southern California wine region has made huge strides over the past decade. Which also means that wine tasting in Temecula is unique and exciting—you never know what hidden gems or surprises you’ll come across at the 40 or so wineries that call the Temecula Valley AVA home.
The revival of the Temecula wine trade dates back to the 1960s, but was first recognized as a legitimate growing AVA in 1984. The climate here is ideal for grape production with low rainfall, a helpful morning mist, and high solar intensity. You’ll find an array of varietals from the traditional Cabernet and Chardonnay to more interesting Mediterranean grapes. Italian varieties such as Sangiovese and Montepulciano have done particularly well in the Temecula Valley.
Our Palm Springs Hotel is about an hour and a half from the Temecula Valley area. The scenic drive takes you by the beautiful San Jacinto State Park into the valley. Spending a day dining and wine tasting in Temecula will be a highlight to any trip to the Palm Springs area. Our knowledgable concierge can be of service to help with reservations or transportation arrangements for wine tasting in Temecula, just let us know how we can assist you. Start by booking your next stay today!
Plan the Perfect Day Trip Wine Tasting in Temecula
A perfect day wine tasting in Temecula begins with a bountiful breakfast spread at our luxury Palm Springs Hotel. Join us in the dining room and outdoor terrace for a three-course morning meal with fresh coffee, the best way to start your adventure. Here are seven wineries that we recommend visiting for wine tasting in Temecula:
- Callaway Vineyards and Winery: In 1974, Callaway was the first winery in Temecula to open its doors to the public for wine tasting. They offer approachable wines, daily winery tours, and live music on the weekends. Plan ahead and make a reservation at the stunning Meritage Restaurant for elegant meals from executive chef Anthony Barr.
- Vindemia Vineyards: At a wine tasting in Temecula at this local winery it’s all about “European style with California vibes.” They focus on an immersive experience here, away from the hustle and bustle, a quiet slice of the Temecula AVA. You’ll sip on Zinfandel or Syrah on their outdoor patio overlooking the vines.
- Thornton Wines: This winery founded in 1988 is known for implementing the Méthode Champenoise process for their sparkling wines. And you’ll see that French influence in the design of the tasting room, as well as the menu options at Cafe Champagne, the on-site restaurant.
- Doffo Wines: Named the “2018 Winery of the Year” by the Temecula Valley Xenia Hospitality, this family-owned winery is one of the newcomers to the Temecula area. They offer tours by mini-bus for a mix of wine tasting in Temecula and getting a first hand look at their production.
- Baily Vineyard and Winery: For more than 30 years, Phil Baily has been masterfully producing wine in the Temecula Valley. Their main tasting room is open daily, but for a special Reserve Vertical tasting of aged varieties head to the production facility on the weekends by reservation only.
- Akash Winery: This family-owned Temecula winery began in 2010 and is a great spot for outdoor wine tasting overlooking the vineyards. You’ll also find a rotating menu provided by local food trucks, live music, and special pop-up events.
- Miramonte Winery: Head to this boutique winery to taste big Rhone blends and Spanish varietals in their contemporary tasting room on a hilltop vista. Stay for lunch at the in-house bistro offering creative small plates and flatbreads.
Elegant Palm Springs Lodging with a Rich History
One of the best feelings in the world is checking into our hotel rooms: the crisp clean smell of linen, sunshine streaming through the windows, and a quiet sense of calm. Our seventeen guest rooms are all tastefully appointed with timely decor with modern amenities. En suite bathrooms offer their own elegant space, perfect for a relaxing bath or steam. Comfortable king beds and cozy seating areas welcome you to lay back in plush pillows or put your feet up.
The Willows Historic Palm Springs Inn is a slice of paradise in the desert, set back on a hill and architecturally designed to fit masterfully into the surrounding scenery. Our Mediterranean villa is the ideal location for exploring all there is to do in Palm Springs—we’re a matter of minutes from the world-renowned Palm Springs Art Museum, as well as amazing downtown restaurants and shops. Begin your next adventure and book your stay today!